Music makes it better. That’s all I have to say.
A lot of things are having their lasts, and a lot are having their firsts.
In two days I have my last Garage Music News meeting, where I’ve been writing for the past two years. Being there has made me a better writer, a better friend, a better listener and collaborator and worker. There I’ve made friends like I’ve never imagined, people who inspire me every minute and help me grow and change.
Yesterday I came out to my family. I start my new life with a new name I thought long and hard about that feels more like me than anything ever has. It’s both nerve-wracking and relieving to not have to worry about who I’m being when, and I don’t know what life like this will be but I hope it’s just as good.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I bought seven books the other day and have to read them all before I move.
April is the cruelest month, although not so much this year. Here I started really getting in a rut musically, because really, who needs anything more than Sufjan Stevens, Car Seat Headrest, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Mountain Goats?
Well, it turns out, I do, and the next month’s playlist is an attempt to rectify that. But for now, I accidentally put “Butchie’s Tune” in two different months.
March was a very dance-y month. That was largely on purpose, both because it was the first month I did “live” so to speak on an account that people followed and watched this playlist being curated, and also because March is always hard for me. I don’t know why, but it’s the only “season” that affects my disorder(s). Not technically SAD, because it’s more a constant worsened than a suddenly appearing and disappearing depression, but hard nonetheless. Hence: music for dancing.
- “Dance Yrself Clean” by LCD Soundsystem
- “Romance Is Boring” by Los Campesinos!
- “The Good Life” by Weezer
- “When I Needed You” by Carly Rae Jepsen
- “Dreams” by The Cranberries
- “One More Hour” by Sleater-Kinney
- “Rugged Country” by Japanese Breakfast
- “Semi-Charmed Life” by Third Eye Blind
- “(It’s a) Departure” by The Long Winters
- “Touches You” by MIKA
- “Fifteen Minutes” by Mike Krol
- “Shame” by Bad Bad Hats
- “Closer” by Tegan and Sara
- “Oblivion” by Grimes
- “I Think I Need A New Heart” by The Magnetic Fields
- “Secrets” by Deep Sea Diver
- “Take A Chance On Me” by ABBA
- “Am I a Girl? Am I a Boy? Do I Really Care?” by In Love With A Ghost
- “I Want a Pony” by Candypants
- “Photobooth” by Death Cab for Cutie
- “Hurt” by Johnny Cash
- “Peer Gynt-Suite Nr. 1, Op. 46: III. Anitras dans (Anitra’s Dance)” by Edvard Grieg
- “Carnival of the Animals: Aquarium” by Camille Saint-Saëns
- “Casin” by glue70
- “Everyone Is Gay” by A Great Big World
- “When Did Your Heart Go Missing?” by Rooney
- “The Shining” by Badly Drawn Boy
- “Leave a Tender Moment Alone” by Billy Joel
- “Lose You” by Pete Yorn
- “A Whiter Shade Of Pale” by Procolo Harum
- “No Surprises” by Radiohead
Cover art is “Ghost V” by Nichael Johansson.